Giving Opportunity - IRA CHARITABLE ROLLOVER OPPORTUNITY NOW THROUGH 2013
A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. ~Proverbs 17:17
We are a people of faith and our faith calls us to action. Reach out your comforting hand to our neighbors through your partnership with the Lehigh County Conference of Churches. Meet Shaun and Derick two of your neighbors in need this holiday season.
Shaun is a veteran who served as a medic in the current war in the Middle East. He spent time in Iraq and Afghanistan, among other places. Once he returned home he was able to find employment but was laid off shortly thereafter. He, his wife, and their four children became homeless. They lived in a hotel for more than a month until an affordable apartment was located. We helped them to get back on their feet and settled into a new place. Today Shaun goes to school in hopes of becoming a nurse. His wife has also returned to work. This will be the first Thanksgiving since he was returned home where homelessness will not hang heavy over their heads.
Derick was laid off from his job and was able to collect unemployment but it was not enough to support him, his wife Toya and their two year old daughter. They lost their home and moved in with a friend. We were able to link Derick to a job training program and when he is done he will be licensed in large equipment operation. Toya has also found employment which allowed them to move into a new place with our help. Their little girl Naomi has just started pre-school, and although the last year has been tough, her parents say she never stopped smiling.
How You Can Help - Donate Now
- Sponsor an ecumenical event like our Peace Pilgrimage, Campbell Lectures, Week of Prayer for Christian Unity
Health & Well Being
- $15 pays for bus tickets for an impoverished mentally ill patient to get to their medical appointments
- $35 pays for an antibiotic for a sick mother
- $55 pays monthly bus fare for an unemployed person looking for work
- $250 pays for a monthly supply of insulin for a diabetic
- $100 will furnish a room for a formerly homeless man at Grace House
- $250.00 will cover the deposit for an electric or gas utility.
- $850 will cover the deposit for an apartment
- $28.00 buys 100 meals at our Ecumenical Soup Kitchen.
- $80.00 buys fresh eggs for breakfasts in our Daybreak drop-in center for a month.
- $250 buys fresh milk for breakfasts in our Daybreak drop-in center for a month.
- Volunteer to cook a meal for our Daybreak drop-in center
- $50 pays for dinner for the Very Important Parenting teens workshop
- $100.00 pays for a nutrition expert to conduct an Aspires Teen Iron Chef class.
- Volunteer to become a mentor to a young person working hard to become a productive citizen
LEHIGH COUNTY CONFERENCE OF CHURCHES